Saturday, December 6, 2014

Nomadic Packrat

What should a nomadic person take for world wanderings...this is what I've been asked quite a bit in the lead up to the trip.  My response is a backpack and an awesome camera :)  But what goes in that pack.  Hmmm...well this is what this nomadic packrat is packing away.

Yup that's it and I'm almost concerned I might have to much. Haha!  But yes it will all fit in my MacPac.  So here's the break down of it.
85lt MacPac back (more than enough space for what I'm taking)
Travel book for people to write in (I'm not journaling, the blog is for that)
Marmot down jacket
Patagonia rain jacket
Merino wool thermals
3 t-shirts
3 pants
underwear & socks
BigAgnes sleeping pad
REI 20° down bag
toiletries
black shoes
flip-flops
rock climbing shoes
REI Flash 18 daypack
camp mess kit (I might not bring this,  what do you think?)
Canon 5D mark II SLR camera with 24-105mm L series lens
GoPro camera
Travel Adapter
unlocked cell phone
2 hard drives for backup of pics
Acer Chromebook laptop

Not pictured: quick dry towel, headlamp, usb cables to connect devices, dry bag for electronic gear, emergency blanket to put my sleeping pad on when camping,

Possible addins: water filter

That's it so far.  If you think I should be bringing some other things, let me know.  The passport is missing since I sent off for a visa.  I really hope I get it back soon. Haha!

7 comments:

  1. Don't forget your towel: http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Towel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have a nice pack towel to bring along.

      Delete
  2. A mess kit? how about a Spork? Airlines and fast food restaurants offer lots of reuable plastic utensils; food usually come in packages that can be reused... I'd dump the messkit and replace it with a small roll of Duct tape...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will stay with my titanium kit as it will be handy when I'm backpacking in Patagonia and other places. Duct tape would be handy to bring along.

      Delete
  3. Good advise on the towel, it doesn't have to be large (REI Packtowl). I would reduce the mess kit to just the small pot, good for boiling water as a backup h2o purifier and vessel for food, water, etc. No need for the extra pan, cups, plates. Most of the plastic sporks break very quickly. Save the money and pick up a couple of fast food forks and soup spoons. Your pot looks like titanium, very light and compact. You can fit all sorts of stuff inside it, so the actual volume the vessel itself occupies is tiny. I didn't see a multi tool mentioned. Mini first-aid and sewing kit, doesn't need to be much. Small flexible solar charger, recharge items while hiking. small rechargeable headlamp (like the Princeton Tec Remix). Consider adding a couple of 10 gallon plastic trash liners. You may want to keep items that get wet from getting other things wet/damaged. All of those items can be stored in your pot. The small roll of duct tape is a good idea, too! Exciting journey ahead... I'm looking forward to following it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great suggestions Jason. I will miss you and Mia. Maybe we can fly together on the other side of the world. :)

      Delete
    2. We already miss you too. We'll be following you and looking forward to catching some international airtime with you!

      Delete