Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Perito Moreno Glaciar

Today we went to Parque Nacional Los Glaciares and saw some amazing calving of the Perito Moreno glacier.  On the way there we stopped at an estancia (ranch) and they had some lambs loafing around.  This little guy was in the perfect place and I really love this pic.


Our bus group did a small hike along side the lake which gave us some nice views of the glaciar and the surrounding mountains.

We walked with the coolest South African doctors.  Their names are Del and Lisa, and I have to say I felt quite safe with them in case I did anything crazy like jumping into the glaciated waters.  They're on a 4 month travel around S. America.

Now for some awesome calving pics.  I've seen calving in Alaska but the size of that glaciar was not as big as this one.  This is 50 meters high and 5 km across along the edge.  Its moving at 2mts a day at the center.

Here's a video that Lisa took of the same calving.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Bryan.

    --Barry P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barry. You should come down here and trek around. You'll love it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, awesome video of the Glacier calving. Sounds like you guys are having a blast! Don't let the thought of us slaving at "work" get you down :-) David S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying really hard not to think about all of you ¨slaving¨ there as I drown in all the beauty down here ;) I might have to stay here longer just so I can stop thinking that there is someone ¨slaving¨ at my old job. haha!

      Delete
  3. I trust that you will test out each flavor of Tang! Then you can let the rest of us know what we're missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaron, your trust is well found in me as mine is in Tang! So far I like the orange and peach. I'm still going through the flavors so I'll keep you posted on my favs :)

      Delete