Monday, August 31, 2015

A Time In Cali

July 23 - August 24

I arrived in Cali (Salsa dancing capital of the world) expecting only to stay a few days before heading onwards.  I've spent a wonderful month here and the reason is I met someone wonderful that I connect with.  It all came about through friends I met at the Maranatha church.  Salome and Luis invited me to the river on Sunday.  That's where I met Veronica and her Mom.  Veronica's smile lights up everything around her and her laugh is contagious.  I'm sucker and it didn't take much. haha!  Anyway, I've ended up staying here with her family and getting to know her better as well as enjoying the love of a family.  Its really nice to have a break from the hostel life.  Hostels are great and one can meet amazing people there, but it can't replace the love of a family and being in a home.
Veronica, Luis, Salome, Mami :)
Angelica, Mami, Veronica
Tia Julieta (I stayed in her house)
Always joking around (I won this round of rock-paper-scissors ;)

Some of my activities in Cali have included lots of hiking around Terron Colorado where I'm staying. (barrio of Cali.)  Tres Cruces and Cristo Rey.
Cali
Rio Cali
Street Art

Terron Colorado (where I stayed)

Cristo Rey (Reminds me of
Veronica's dog Range who accompanied me on all my hikes. Buen Perro :)


San Cipriano with its crazy motorcycle taxi service on the rail road tracks.  This little place is worth visiting to get away from the big city of Cali.  The river is crystal clear and feels great in the hot weather.



This is how you propel a moto taxi with no gas. haha!


Veronica and I took a trip to Parque del Cafe near the city of Armenia.  This part of the country is the coffee growing area and is very beautiful.  The park is full of amusement rides and not coffee.  Here's some of the fun we had on a water ride and the bumper cars.



Veronica learning to drive. haha!



This is how Patacones (green Plantains) are made.  First cut the plantain into chunks and deep fry it.

Then use a flat surface to mash it flat.


Deep fry it a 2nd time. Listo! (Ready)

No comments:

Post a Comment