Friday, May 22, 2015

Floating Islands of Lake Titicaca

May 8 - 9

Ever since I was a kid and watched Mission Spotlight at church, I have wondered what it must be like to live on a floating grass island out on lake Titicaca.  Well I don't need to wonder anymore as I finally made that wondering go away with a night spent out there as well as going to church in the floating Adventist church there.

The story of how we came to stay on the island was amazing as well.  We checked into the Inka's Rest Hostel in Puno and Llew asked the staff how we could get to the island that had all the Adventists on it. (I had heard that there was one from my memory of Mission Spotlight.)  One of the staff who's name is Richard, said he was an Adventist and that we could come stay on his floating island with his parents.  So on Friday afternoon we headed out to the island in his Dads little motorboat.  Threading through the reedy waterways was quite exciting especially when we almost ran into another boat on a corner. haha!



When we arrived at Richard's island which is called "Winay", I noticed that there were close to 10 one room houses.  Half of them appear to be guest houses.  Hosting guests or giving them a tour is their main source of income.  Richards showed us how the islands are constructed on the floating reeds and how they continually have to layer the reeds.  Every 15 days in fact. which requires picking up the houses to complete the task.  That's a lot of work, but its worth it to the people to preserve this very unique way of life.







Sleeping on the island was so peaceful compared to being in the city.  I can definitely see why they love living out here.  The only time I felt the island move was when a boat with a large enough wake went by.  Its similar to sleeping on a waterbed. haha!






On Saturday we motored over to the Adventist church which was a few islands over.  The church and the school are floating on pontoons instead of the grass island.  That was some good thinking by the engineers that built it (I believe its Maranatha), as what a monstrosity of job it would be to lay down more reeds underneath the church.  Potluck lunch was very interesting.  They layed down a strip of tarp and then tossed potatoes, corn on the cob, fried bread, and fish on to it.  Then everyone did a mad scramble for the food.  I've never seen anything like that before. haha!  It was like the people were starving and it was every person for themselves.  I was quite amused. ;)




I'm really glad that we were able to have this unique experience and better yet, get to know some Adventists that live there.

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing adventure. I'm so lucky to get to follow you around the world!... not sure why this comment says Arlene? It's Linda:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my travels Linda. My next few entries will detail my trek to Machu Picchu. Stay tuned :)

      Delete
  2. What an awesome experience. I love the potluck. That is hysterical. Cannot wait for MP pics. Love living thru you and Llewelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BJ. I'm off to on a Jungle trek tomorrow and Llew is flying to Mexico to meetup with his parents on Sunday. Our traveling days together are over for now.

      Delete