The classic Inca trail to Machu Picchu has become so popular that its limited to 2500 people per day. Since one must reserve it months in advance, an alternate route with spectacular views has become popular. Salkantay is over 6200 meters (+20,000 feet) and the trail goes over a pass before descending to the rain forest. The last bit to Machu Picchu is walking on the railroad tracks from Hidroeléctrica to Aquas Caliente. The tour companies for this trek carry the tourists stuff on a donkey and the tourist only walk with a day pack. The tour company provides the tent and food and will have it all ready by the time the tourist reaches the camp. The problem for Llew and me with this kind of setup is there is a guide that you must stay with on the trek. We hike fast and like to be on our own. We ended up finding a sweet deal with South American Explorers that provided food and a place to stay in someones house, while still allowing everyone to be on their own to hike to the next location.
Map of the trek
The first day we rode in a truck to the refugío and then did a hike up to lago Humantay Ccocha which was a beautiful glacier lake with such vivid turquoise colors that I had to take a lot of pictures.
Our room at the refugío
Salkantay peak
The dinner we were served that evening was great. Crack sticks with guacamole and then more food after that. I was having problems with my stomach all day and that night I didn't sleep well as it was just churning. In the morning, I wasn't feeling well and had the dreaded 'D'. haha! This is the first time in my travels that I've gotten sick and I can't think of what may have caused it. Now I have to hike over a 4600 meter (15,000 ft) pass with a partially energy depleted body. Some how I was able to go at a pace that I could sustain. I enjoyed the amazing views of the peak and the clouds floating by from the valley. Once over the pass it was down hill the rest of the day. I was able to eat dinner that evening and was good the rest of the trip.
Llew, Paola, and me
The hike down
The 3rd day was hiking along the Río Santa Teresa and was easy going. The river is beautiful and as we descended more, it became warmer. By mid afternoon we were in Santa Teresa and went and enjoyed the hot springs there.
This bunny need a bath :)
Typical Peruvian soup
4th day was an easy walk on the railroad tracks for 1.5 hours from Hidroeléctrica to Aguas Caliente. I enjoyed walking through the train tunnel. I was glad no train was going through. haha!
No comments:
Post a Comment