June 7 - 21
I arrived at Universidad Peruana Unión (UPeU) after a long 21 hour bus ride from Cusco. How I ended up here was through my good friend David Lopez who has a good contact here, Josue. So I got in contact with Josue and asked about volunteering opportunities. He said there was some opportunities and that I could stay with him. One of my favorite things I've done here is help out with the Conquistadores (Pathfinders). They had a campout on the Univerisity property and it was fun getting to know the kids. I think my Spanish improved a bit more as they all wanted to talk to me. The kids here definitely know how to make fires as that's how they cooked there meals. I remember how difficult it was for the Grace Point kids to make fires. I guess that shows the difference in life styles. The kids in the cities don't make fires, while the ones here probably do it quite often. It reminded me of how it was for me when I first started backpacking in Oregon years ago. Now I'm so spoiled with the backpacking stove.
 |
| UPeU |
 |
| I taught the girls how to play "Slug-bug" ;) |
 |
| Mariposa (Mi calor favorito) |
One of my other volunteer tasks here was helping out at the Nuevo Tiempo (Hope Channel) radio station. They were sending out info to all the churches in Peru. So a lot of shuffling papers into envelopes. Factory work as I call it. But it was fun as I worked with a great group and the time went by. I'm glad that I could help out in this effort.
Muchas Gracias to Josue and his whole family. They all made me feel very welcomed and have been the best hosts I've had on my travels. His brother Benjamin has been an excellent cook and laughed when I forgot to put salt in some rice I cooked. He said, "don't worry Bryan, I will fix it." haha! Caleb, it was nice working with your team at the radio station and watching football and basketball games.
 |
| Watching the b-ball finals |
 |
| The Karaoke group :) |
It was not easy to leave and continue my travels. I hope to see you all again. :)
Hey Bryan, how do you find places to volunteer at when you are traveling?
ReplyDeleteSo far its been through friends that know people locally. However I'm going to utilize Workaway as well. https://www.workaway.info/
Delete